One on One for 27.

Friday, December 04, 2015

Every year, I like having dinner or game night with all my friends for my birthday. But as time passes by, and as we all get older, it's harder to get together. This year became something entirely different, and to be honest, I really liked it!

Since my 27th birthday was actually on Thanksgiving this year, I decided to celebrate in the weeks leading up to it (as so to keep my birthday & Christmas apart in my brain, I guess). I ended up spending some on-on-one (and much needed) girl time with a few I was closest to. We visited some yummy spots, and being the foodie that I am, I wanted to share that with you!

Place: Coffee Code
City: Buena Park
With: Jeanna (aka Jea)

A photo posted by Gardenia 🌹 Bush (@gardeniarose) on

Yum right?! In the words of Jea, breakfast for dinner? Don't mind if we do! We had fruit waffles topped with strawberries, bananas, kiwis, chocolate sauce, and of course, ICE CREAM. (All caps for the deliciousness!) For drinks, I opted for the white chocolate latte (decaf cuz it was late), and Jea got a peppermint latte. Fun Fact: the reigning latte art champion works here! She won the latte art competition at the US Coffee Championships. (It's real. It's legit. It's a thing. Read more about it here.) They're open pretty late (for an OC place) on a weekday so it's nice to chat and bond over yummy treats without a time constraint. Even though I don't go often, I love coming here for a good latte, art included. :)

Place: Ledlow
City: Downtown Los Angeles
With: Camille (aka Cea)
A photo posted by Gardenia 🌹 Bush (@gardeniarose) on
Saturday brunch at DTLA? Why not? I'm not much of a DTLA fan simply because of the drive, (I can't handle it!) but since Cea was kind enough to drive, I was all about it! :) She'd been wanting to try this place for awhile & of course I've never been so I was totally up for it! I got Baked Eggs en Cocotte and she got the Coddled Eggs Benedict. Instead of Mimosas, we opted for Ledlow's Brandy Milk Punch... and let me tell you, that packs a punch, to say the least. It's definitely not for the light-hearted, if you know what I mean. We walked around after for a little bit and witnessed some lovely street art. It was pretty nice not to be in my typical Orange County element, but slightly odd. It's so crazy to drive an hour and be in a totally different state of mind due to the environment you're in.

Place: GD Bro Burger
City: Santa Ana
With: Amelia
A photo posted by Gardenia 🌹 Bush (@gardeniarose) on
At first we were going to the Dirty Cookie in Irvine, but when Amelia spotted this place on Insta, all she had to do was send me a snapscreen and I was in. In an effort to attempt to be nice to our bodies, we decided to jog two miles and catch up at a park near by before sharing this insane meal. We split an Italian Stallion burger (subbed grilled chicken for the hamburger meat), Parmesan Truffle Fries, and last but not least, a Cap'n Crunch Milkshake. Fun Fact: GD Bro Burger is the winner of The Great Food Truck Race Season Six on The Food Network! Thank God we decided to share everything because it was A LOT. Everything was good and could wish an endless amount of those fries, but I know I shouldn't. At least it's only a few cities from me and should I need a craving fulfilled... you know where I'll be.

Place: Urth Caffe
City: Pasadena
With: Monica
A photo posted by Gardenia 🌹 Bush (@gardeniarose) on
This has become tradition for Monica and I to come here together once every fall/winter. We both aren't too fond of driving so it's a labor of love to get there, but it makes such a happy tummy. :) We grabbed our usual drinks, matcha green tea lattes of course, and split our favorite orders, which are the d'lox pizza and egg sandwich (it's not on the menu anymore, but if you ask for it, they'll make it & you won't regret it). We sat outside and chatted about our husbands (she's my only married-without-a-kid friend), how crazy married life is, and how so much has changed in a year. This was the perfect day to go because you can actually feel the Fall weather. And I absolutely love that. I never come to this place enough to change my order, but one day I'll have the courage to.

I'm proud to say that even if there were snaps and instas about our food, we weren't all about it,or at least did our best not to be. Everything in moderation. :) I absolutely had a blast spending time with these girls. Each of them unique in friendship, but all close ones indeed.

-Gardenia Rose

You Might Also Like

0 comments