A Year in Review: My New Job

Wednesday, May 29, 2019



This month I celebrate completing my first year at my new job. (yay me!)

Last year, I finally made the leap to get out of the comfort zone that I built for myself and truly spread my wings. I wanted to begin living in the full potential that God has given me and honestly, the only thing holding me back was actually myself. It was a long road of a delicate yet bold combination of trusting God and stepping out in faith. I told God that you’ve had me from day one, so if it’s time for a new chapter, let it be. And he did.

It has been an amazing journey so far to say the least. I have learned so much and I'm still continuing to soak up the knowledge in the new position that God has given me. I honestly cannot stop being thankful for where I am because it has opened my eyes to what living in the fullness of what God has for me is like. By believing in Him and believing in myself with the confidence He has given me (which I like to call Godfidence for short), I know I finally am where I'm suppose to be.

In this new chapter of my journey, here's two concepts that I've come to learn (and still learning)...

You are never too busy to be kind.

That sounds like such an easy concept, but believe me (or maybe you know), it most definitely is not. It's so easy to get caught up with work that you just become short with people, simply because there's so much to do. You just want to get things done so you can go home. What I've learned is that this attitude (should you choose to accept it) becomes the atmosphere around you. While your efficiency in work remains, your emotional intelligence declines. And if I want to continue to be like Christ, I have to have time for people. I have to be kind. This doesn't mean chat by the water cooler all day (that's a thing right?). It just means smile, say nice things, ask them how they are.

Where I work, I am fortunate enough to be with a group of the smart and talented physicians who see the sickest and toughest patients. On top of being top notch doctors who literally save lives, they have to do so many other things- meetings, research, lectures to give and attend, and the list goes on. I'm not saying they have bad days all the time, but when you deal with a lot of people and see a lot of sick kids, their lives are definitely not easy. And even with everything that they have to deal with, they still smile and they're still kind.

I don't save lives. I don't work a shift that requires me to perform at my best from 4:00pm to 8:00am and still have a friendly conversation after that. I don't have to make life or death decisions for someone else's life, let alone someone else's child... but I have the ability to be kind. I have the opportunity to smile and be nice despite the day I'm having or how I'm feeling. I can exude positivity and be a light. I just have to choose to do so.

Own your victories.

They always say to own your mistakes. And while that's true that you should, I think it's important to  "own up" to the good things, too. You know, I've never quite understood why our society seems to magnify the negative. (Well I could explore that... but that's a whole 'nother blog.) We think about what we're not doing, what we don't have, and the things we're not. We get in our head (I know I do) and sooner or later, we fall into the horrible black hole of bad thoughts about yourself and your life. The way we analyze and overthink our faults, we should equally place the same (if not more) time and thought about our talents & accomplishments.

This first year being where I am has really taught me how to be proud of my gifts and to celebrate my successes, big or small. I use to downplay my work and my accomplishments. I just didn't think I was that good at what I use to do. But where I am now, in my element and flourishing in it, there is honestly no greater feeling. Don't get me wrong, work is still hard and takes a lot of effort, but I'm proud of the journey that I've gone through to get here. I'm proud of myself... and that's not a bad thing or a "toot-my-own-horn" kind of thing. It's actually a very good thing and I'm stilling learning that that's okay.



Here's to blooming in life... once again,
Gardenia Rose

You Might Also Like

0 comments